McCartney Times

Don’t let me down: Japan superfans lose fight for Beatles footage – CGTN

Don’t let me down: Japan superfans lose fight for Beatles footage – CGTN

Don’t let me down: Japan superfans lose fight for Beatles footage – CGTN
November 01
09:34 2018

It’s been a hard day’s fight, but a group of Japanese Beatles fans has lost their bid to get the police to hand over the historical footage of the band’s 1966 Japan visit.

The superfans took their battle for the film – recorded by police as a security measure – all the way to Japan’s supreme court, arguing the images were a “historical document.”

Police had offered to release the footage, reportedly about 35 minutes long, but only after blurring the faces of everyone in the film except the Beatles, citing privacy reasons.

Two lower courts backed the police against a group of citizens from Nagoya who wanted the entire film released uncensored, saying it would be almost impossible to identify people in the footage more than 50 years later.

June 29, 1966: The British band The Beatles, (bottom to top) Paul McCartney, John Lennon, Ringo Starr and George Harrison, arriving with their manager Brian Epstein (top L-behind George) at Tokyo International Airport at Haneda in Tokyo ahead of their tour. /VCG Photo

But the long and winding legal battle ended last week when the supreme court rejected their argument, the group announced.

The Beatles toured Japan only once, playing five concerts, and were trailed across the country by legions of screaming fans.

A lawyer for the group seeking the footage said it would have huge historical significance for Beatles enthusiasts.

“It is a document that should be made available from a historical standpoint,” lawyer Satoshi Shinkai told the Asahi Shimbun newspaper.

June 30, 1966: Members of the British band The Beatles, (L to R) Paul McCartney, John Lennon, Ringo Starr and George Harrison, holding a press conference in Tokyo at the start of their tour. /VCG Photo

“The final concert given on July 2 was apparently electrifying,” added fan Toru Omura, who has written books about the impact of the group’s tour.

“If confirmation can be made of the existence of footage from that day, there would be huge excitement,” he told the newspaper.

The Beatles remain popular in Japan, and former group member Paul McCartney arrived in Tokyo this week to kick off his new world tour.

(Cover: File photo taken on June 30, 1966, shows British band The Beatles, (L to R) Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, George Harrison and John Lennon, performing during their concert at the Budokan in Tokyo. /VCG Photo)

Source: Don’t let me down: Japan superfans lose fight for Beatles footage – CGTN

About Author

Martin Nethercutt

Martin Nethercutt

Related Articles

0 Comments

No Comments Yet!

There are no comments at the moment, do you want to add one?

Write a comment

Only registered users can comment.